So I have perfected a great way to take them off without peeling off a layer of your nail. I basically figured out what the salon people do and found out how to do it at home.
You'll need: Nail polish remover (I prefer 100% pure acetone because it works faster), nail file, cuticle pusher, squares of aluminum foil, and cotton pads or squares
So here's what my nails looked like around week 3...clearly have grown out a bit. I could probably keep them a bit longer, but my hair and clothes have been getting caught on them when the edges start coming up and it drives me nuts. So, time to go!
|I hate it when the corners are like this! They lift up and get caught on EVERYTHING!|
1. Cut the cotton pads into small squares that are big enough to cover more than just your fingernail if it were placed right on top of it.
2. Soak a small cotton pad with nail polish remover. Then wring it a little bit so that it's not soaking wet. Place it right on top of your fingernail. You want to make sure your whole fingernail is covered. The reason I use small squares instead of wrapping the cotton around my whole finger tip is because the nail polish remover can seriously dry out your skin and it's not comfortable.
3. Grab a foil square and place it right on top of the cotton pad. Wrap it around and fold on the top of your finger so it's nice and tight. Make sure it's really close to your finger and that there aren't any holes in between.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the rest of your fingers on that hand. I have not been able to do this for both hands at once because it's hard to use your hands when they're all foiled up! So I do it one hand at a time. If you're able to do both at once, go for it!
5. I usually go watch tv or something while I wait. I usually wait about ten minutes or so. You'll know it's done when it looks like this when the foil comes off...
6. Use the cuticle pusher to scrape off the gel starting from the bed of your nail moving towards the end of your nail to get everything off.
7. Use the nail polish remover and wipe off your nail one last time.
8. Do this with your other hand.
9. I always finish by putting on two coats of nail strengthener since it's easy for them to become weak because of the nail polish remover.
Ta-da! You're done!